Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 8-10 mins
This recipe will serve 8 people
(marinade for 3 hours)
- 300 ml pot natural yogurt
- 2 tbsp mint sauce
- 3 cloves of finely chopped garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons of roasted cumin seed (for sprinkling during cooking)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt and freshly ground pepper
- 750 grams of lean lamb cut into 3-4cm cubes
- 1 large onion, cut into large chunks
- 4 large pitta breads
- 1 iceburg lettuce, chopped and mix with the chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoon of chopped fresh mint
- 15ml Olive Oil
Heat the BarbeSkew grill to medium.
Mix the yogurt, mint sauce, chopped garlic together, in a bowl large enough to take the lamb. At this point divide the mixture in half and refrigerate. With the remaining mixture stir in the ground cumin pour over the cubed lamb and mix thoroughly to coat and season well. (This can now be refrigerated overnight) or use as below immediately. Skewer the lamb (ensure that the lamb is tightly packed together on the skewer) onto 4 BarbeSkew skewers, alternating with pieces of onion previously cut into large chunks.
On a hob place a non stick pan on a high heat add your cumin seeds and roast gently to release the aromas.
Cook the lamb kebabs on the BarbeSkew for 8-10 minutes. If your prefer well cooked lamb continue cooking for a further 4-5minutes. Sprinkle with the roasted cumin seeds whilst cooking. Warm the pittas for 1-2 mins in the BarbeSkew chrome cage, when warm cut in half and split open. Stuff the pittas with lamb, onion and lettuce, and mint, drizzling over the remaining minty yogurt to serve.