Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 4 – 5 mins
This recipe will serve 8 people
Purchase fresh tightly closed oysters on the day you wish to make this dish and from a reputable source.
- 18 sliced streaky bacon rashers, cut in half
SPICED APPLE SAUCE
- 36 opened (shucked) oysters – once shucked you should use that day
- 1 kg cooking apples (Bramley’s are best, peeled and finely cubed)
- Pinch of salt for soaking apples
- 25ml vegetable or olive oil
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain white or whole-meal flour
- 20g good quality Paprika powder
- 100ml water (as necessary)
- 100ml of a good quality cider
- 100ml whipping cream
- 50g finely chopped dry-roasted cashew nuts (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
Heat the BarbeSkew grill to medium.
To make the sauce, finely cube the apples and set aside in slightly salted water. Heat the oil in saucepan and add chopped spring onions and sauté for a few minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and paprika powder and allow to cook for a few minutes to let the flavours develop and the onions caramelize slightly, stirring constantly.
The mixture will thicken quite quickly. Add the drained reserved cubed apples, cream and cider plus a little water can be added if necessary to make the sauce the correct consistency. Simmer for a few minutes. Add the cashews if desired. Remove from heat and season very lightly with freshly ground black pepper.
To prepare the oysters, wrap each one with half a rasher of streaky bacon. Place the wrapped oysters in the BarbeSkew chrome cage. Grill for 4-5 minutes or until the bacon turns crispy, do not over cook the oysters. Remove the oysters from the BarbeSkew chrome cage and transfer to a warmed dish. Serve the hot Spiced-Apple sauce in a separate bowl.